Tuesday, November 27, 2012

2013 NFL Draft

With only five games left in the season I think it's safe to say the season is over for our KC Chiefs. While it may be unfortunate that we didn't have a good season, that does mean that we're going to have a great pick in the draft and, at this point, it will be the very first one. I've made a short slideshow of the top five players I think we should draft in the upcoming year. Here they are:

(Pictures compliments of collegefootball.ap.org, sports.yahoo.com, sportsillustrated.cnn.com, timesfreepress.com, zimbio.com)


1. Jarvis Jones (UGA) - Some may think I'm crazy since we already have two good outside linebackers but I think it might be smart to draft the best player available, move Tamba Hali back to defensive end, and improve what is already a strength. Hali isn't good in open space anyway so why not let him replace one of our inept D-ends (Tyson Jackson or Ropati Pitoitua). I think this improves both our linebacking corps and our defensive line.

2. Manti Te'o (Notre Dame) - He may win the Heisman as a defensive player this year which is already impressive. He's been by far the best player on a great defense and is a tackling machine. Again, some might say we don't need more linebackers and to those people I direct you to the Baltimore Ravens and the Pittsburgh Steelers. You can never have enough linebackers. With Jovan Belcher becoming a free agent after this season, I would love to see Te'o and Derrick Johnson play side-by-side in our 3-4 defense. With a weak class of QBs and WRs I don't think anyone would fill one of those holes enough to draft them with a top 3 pick.

3. Geno Smith (West Virginia) - Do I think he's the future of the Chiefs franchise? No. Do I think the Chiefs need a quarterback? Yes. Do I think he's the best QB available in this years draft? Yes. He fills the biggest hole our team has and that's the only reason we should draft him with a top 3 pick.

4. Robert Woods (USC) - I don't know why Dwayne Bowe would stay in Kansas City. We don't have a QB, we're rebuilding, and we need to be running the ball as much as possible since we have Jamaal Charles. I think that he'll be gone next season and we'll need a big, deep ball threat like Woods to replace him on the outside as a number one target for whoever plays QB next year. This years wide receiver class isn't great but I think he's the best available.

5. Dee Milliner (Alabama) - The best corner on the best defense in college football. Nick Saban knows defense and his players always seem NFL ready. After shipping out Stanford Routt two weeks ago we need a replacement and I think Javier Arenas is a nickel corner at best. Brandon Flowers is a great corner and our safeties are good, but we need to find a real second corner.

1 comment:

  1. Fingers are crossed for a great draft this year..find some players that can make an immediate impact next season.

    ReplyDelete